Exchange 2007: Recreating OWA Virtual Directory on SBS 2008

By May 17, 2012Exchange

I came across this issue today when helping out a colleague of mine, where the owa virtual directory was created under the Default Web Site. On a normal Exchange Server 2007, this would be correct. However as this is an SBS 2008 server the virtual directory should be placed under “SBS Web Applications”.

The commands he had issued were as follows:-

The correct command should be as follows:-

About Chris Colden

28 | IT Consultant | Web Dev'er | Geek | Metal Head | Gamer | Tea, Beer and Wine Drinker | Slightly Wonky | All views my own and not of my employer(s)

4 Comments

  • Ati says:

    Hi Chris,

    I get this error when I run the second part of the code.

    I’d be grateful if you could help.

    New-OwaVirtualDirectory : An error occurred while creating the IIS virtual dir
    ctory ‘IIS://SBS2008.hrmlan.local/W3SVC/3/ROOT/owa’ on ‘SBS2008’.
    At line:1 char:24
    + New-OwaVirtualDirectory <<<< -OwaVersion "Exchange2007" -Name "owa" -WebSit
    Name "SBS Web Applications"
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (SBS2008\owa (SBS Web Applicat
    ions):ADObjectId) [New-OwaVirtualDirectory], InvalidOperationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : A6D74AFA,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemCon
    figurationTasks.NewOwaVirtualDirectory

    Regards
    Ati

    • Chris Colden says:

      Hi Ati,

      Assuming you have removed your OWA directory ok.

      Can you try the following

      New-OWAVirtualDirectory -WebsiteName “SBS Web Applications” -OwaVersion “Exchange2007” -ExternalAuthenticationMethods Fba

      Regards,
      Chris

  • Ati says:

    Hi Chris,

    Apologies for a late reply as I was on holiday and did not see your reply.

    Yeah you are right, I was having major problems with owa so I removed it and tried to recreate it but I think I made things worse!

    I get this “HTTP Error 500.0 – Internal Server Error
    Calling LoadLibraryEx on ISAPI filter “C:\Exchange\ClientAccess\sync\bin\AirFilter.dll” failed” when I try remote email using owa.

    I also get this when accessing owa internally.

    “Most likely causes:
    The path to the ISAPI Filter is incorrect.
    IIS received the request; however, an internal error occurred during the processing of the request. The root cause of this error depends on which module handles the request and what was happening in the worker process when this error occurred.
    IIS was not able to access the web.config file for the Web site or application. This can occur if the NTFS permissions are set incorrectly.
    IIS was not able to process configuration for the Web site or application.
    The authenticated user does not have permission to use this DLL.
    Things you can try:
    Ensure that the path to the ISAPI DLL is correct.
    Ensure that the NTFS permissions for the web.config file are correct and allow access to the Web server’s machine account.
    Check the event logs to see if any additional information was logged.
    Verify the permissions for the DLL.
    Create a tracing rule to track failed requests for this HTTP status code. For more information about creating a tracing rule for failed requests, click ”

    Very much appreciate your help.

    Regards
    Ati

  • Chris Colden says:

    Sorry Ati,

    I’ve dropped the ball this time.

    If your still having issues, please try the following. Take a copy of this file before you edit it so at least you can revert the changes.

    In the file %windir%system32inetsrvconfigapplicationhost.config:

    change the line
    <filter name="Exchange OWA Cookie Authentication ISAPI Filter"         path="C:ExchangeClientAccessowaauthowaauth.dll" enabled="true"  />

    to the following
    <filter name="Exchange OWA Cookie Authentication ISAPI Filter"         path="C:ExchangeClientAccessowaauthowaauth.dll" enabled="true" preCondition="bitness64" />

    change the line

    <filter name="Exchange ActiveSync ISAPI Filter"         path="C:ExchangeClientAccesssyncbinAirFilter.dll" enabled="true"   />

    to the following

    <filter name="Exchange ActiveSync ISAPI Filter"         path="C:ExchangeClientAccesssyncbinAirFilter.dll" enabled="true"  preCondition="bitness64" />

    Let me know how you get on.

    Regards,
    Chris

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: